How Does A 3D Printer Work? A 3D printer is a technology of the new generation that can create objects related to the everyday life. It is also a remarkable device as it can create diverse types of objects of different materials from the same printer. A 3D printer is also very helpful in making beautiful things like porcelain cups, malleable toys, any metallic part of a device, ceramic objects containers, decorative brown cakes, etc.
3D printing is substituting the old-style factory manufacturing method with a single device. The same thing was happened to the ink’s bottles and printing press, as it was also replaced by the inkjet printers. The best techniques that are used in 3D printing are FDM (Fused Deposition Modelling) Technology, Stereolithography (SLA), Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS), Triple-jetting technology (PolyJet), etc.
In what way does 3D Printing Work?
When we go to buy a 3D printer, there is always an eagerness to know about the procedure of a 3D printing i.e. how does a 3D printing works. There are basically 3 steps that are followed:
Designing of a 3D file
Before beginning the procedure of 3D printing, a person needs to do preparation for designing a 3D file of the object that he wants to print. With the help of CAD software, a 3D file can be created with a 3D scanner or can be downloaded from an online website. When the 3D file is set for the printing procedure, the person can carry on to the next step.
The subsequent step is the printing procedure. In this, first of all, the person is required to select the material that will perfectly attain the exact properties essential for the object. The diversity of materials that can be used in 3D printing is quite comprehensive. It comprises of plastics, porcelains, gums, metals, soil, fabrics, biomaterials, crystal, foodstuff as well as the lunar dirt. All these materials play an important role in achieving the desired design of the object that a person has imagined.
Proving finishing to the object
The last and concluding step is the finishing of the process. In this step, the person will require particular abilities as well as the resources. Once the object is printed, it is not in the condition that you can directly use or delivered it to someone. It needs to get sanded, polished and decorated to complete it just as proposed.
Advantages of 3D printing
After buying a 3D printer, you will get the following benefits, like:
- If you broke an object then there is no need to get worried as you can simply print a new object with the help of a 3D printer.
- The 3D printers can easily use at home for making various things.
- It also reduces the wastage of materials as objects produced by 3D printing require no packaging at all.
- It also eliminates the requirement of wagons and the warehouses i.e. for delivering goods as well as for storing the products respectively.
- It is an affordable manufacturing method for doing 3D printing.
Disadvantages of 3D printing
Besides the above advantages, there are certain disadvantages that are linked with the use of a 3D printer. Some of them are as follows:
- Even if the 3d printer price is cheaper than setting up a manufacturing unit, the price per production of an object is quite higher.
- On some occasions, it does not match up the smooth finishing that a traditional industrial machine used to provide.
- It also lacks in the diversity of materials as well as the range of the sizes of the objects.
- Specific skills are also required for using this technique.
A 3D printing technique is a continuous changing process that will grow further in the future. The 3D printing business endures updating its hardware along with the materials that are required to produce objects and its parts. It also depends upon numerous elements, for example, the budget, design or purpose, selection of the suitable 3D printing process, correct material, etc.
Since the prices of 3D printers are quite high for middle-range income group person. But, like other several domestic technologies, the rates will surely come down in the future and 3D printer proficiencies will also get improve over the time.